Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Small noise turns out to be a big deal

by Brian
So one day our neighbour Tom at Pasadena Marina was over visiting on our boat. He is doing as we all do in the boating community, just checking out the other guy’s boat when he turns our wheel and hears clang! clang!. He then said I should look at that.  Well it took a while but I did and this is what I found.  Two pulleys and some cables and some type of pins all worn out.  First I pulled the bed apart to get at the steering.  Then I looked at the cables and tubes they ran through, and then the pulleys and pins including the bracket that holds the pulleys.  No big deal I can fix anything. 
So off I go to this marina to see if I can order parts.  I walk up to the parts desk.  Lots of crab boat guys and a few local boat repair guys all having morning coffee telling crap to each other.  I tell him I have a sailboat and need parts.  The crowd goes quiet.  He asks what I need and I tell him I need some steering parts.  Ok, he says.  I need some pulleys.  Pulleys?  I then say the pins also.  Pins?  And while I am in there I should replace the bushings.  You know the brass tube things the pins fit in. This guy clearly has no idea what the hell I just said.  As I was about to explain, this old weather beaten guy, Vic says what kinda boat ya got?  I tell him a Morgan. That’s a good one ya know.  Then he pipes up and says to Tony the parts guy and store manager “Order him a pair of number 7 sheaves (pulleys) then get him a pair of 1/2 by 2 sheave slides (pins) and a pair of 5/8 bronze bearings (bushings for the pins) and throw in some cotter pins” (ok I got that one ) Oh and young fella you got some grease? You gotta grease the hell out of everything. The guy leaves and doesn’t even say goodbye.  Thank you! I say. That guy knows his stuff!  He should he worked on the arc I think.  Seemed like a nice guy.  No, he just likes to show off.  Made my day easier, anything else?   This is when the guy says sorry we can’t order from them.
008
the old slide pin cut half way through,
and the new one
(I used lots of Superlube Chuck)
So next door to West Marine I go.  West Marine is a great store if you like to spend twice as much as you should .  And yes I did , I walked right in and said I would like to order some parts for my rear quadrant.  I need 2 number 7 sheaves and a pair of 1/2 by 2 inch sheave slides and two 5/8 bronze sheave bearings please. Oh throw in four  1/8 cotter pins. That’s when the guy hollers over to his coworkers “anyone know how to order sailboat steering parts?”
011
everything installed new, just need a couple of bolts

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

Brian, Sally and Cricket the cat sailing on our 41 foot Morgan Classic sailboat. In October 2011 we sold our house, quit our jobs and set out for Florida in search of a sailboat. We found her in Madeira Beach Florida. A 1987 41 foot Morgan Classic. Our plan is to sail for a couple of years. First to the Bahamas, after that...who knows.