Friday, January 25, 2013

Bimini and Beyond Part 1

After 3 days at the Bimini Sands marina we headed out early on Saturday. We were able to get the sails out for a little bit before we rounded North Bimini but then were headed right into the wind again. Majiks has the same engine as us, but because their boat is a lot lighter they travel much faster. They had their anchor light on as a beacon and we caught up to them at the Northwest channel where we spent the night. It was hard to tell because it was dark when we stopped, but it really is the middle of nowhere. I have never heard such totally quiet or seen as completely dark as that before. The stars were amazing. We could see the shadow of our boat from the moon on the sand below us.
We woke early the next morning to flat calm. Next stop Nassau, and we expected to be there in the early afternoon. From Bimini to here we had been travelling on the banks where the water is about 15 to 20 feet deep. We then entered the Tongue of the Ocean and the depth dropped to over 3000 feet. Brian rigged up 2 fishing rods with great expectations and was not disappointed. I was steering and Brian was making lunch when we came along a big weed line and where there’s a weed line there are usually fish.
Allen-Key-031_thumb1Bingo! A Mahi Mahi (Dorado or Dolphin) was a big item on Brian’s bucket list and he got one. My description will never do justice to the colour. The water was deep sapphire blue and the Mahi with the sun on it was iridescent turquoise and green. I wish we had taken the picture sooner because after we gave her a shot of rye she lost her colour very quickly. I’m not sure if the booze kills them or just gets them drunk but one glug down it’s throat did the trick. It’s hard to steer with a big fish flopping around your feet.

As we approached Nassau we could see the cruises ships in their slips and we headed for a charted anchorage quite near them. It was a little intimidating being that close, but if the charts said it was safe, it must be, right?

Kathy and Dan came over to share our Mahi, which we marinated in soya sauce, Thai seasoning, lime juice, agave syrup, salt and pepper and then grilled. It was delicious.
Then the cruise ships started to leave. Allen-Key-039_thumb1We were beginning to have second thoughts of the where we were especially when the second one to leave had to turn around right beside us, but a pilot ship came up along side with his lights flashing and told us we were fine. It was a fairly peaceful night until about 6 am when we were woken by another cruise ship coming in. I guess it was their thrusters creating wash under the boat but it sounded like we were being sandblasted.

Just as we were pulling up anchor to leave we were approached by harbour security. They requested to board both of our boats, check our paperwork and do an inspection. They were very nice about it and told us even though the charts had the anchorage marked we were too close. They inspected the boat and we passed, however they did question the amount of beer we had on board. They asked because of the quantity if it was cargo or provisions. Beer, along with everything else in the Bahamas is very expensive so we stocked up in Florida.

1 comment:

  1. A Mahi! I'm so jealous!! I caught one years ago and you're right, you can't describe the colors, you really have to see it first hand.


About Us

Brian, Sally and Cricket the cat sailing on our 41 foot Morgan Classic sailboat. In October 2011 we sold our house, quit our jobs and set out for Florida in search of a sailboat. We found her in Madeira Beach Florida. A 1987 41 foot Morgan Classic. Our plan is to sail for a couple of years. First to the Bahamas, after that...who knows.